Permethrin (PER) is widely employed as the most frequently used type I synthetic pyrethroid insecticide. Despite its worldwide application, reports of pediatric toxicity following permethrin administration are scarce.The present case report involves a 12 year old Afghan girl, with no previous medical problems, who drank an unknown insecticide covertly at home. Two hours after ingestion, she was taken to the emergency room with neither breathing signs nor a heartbeat. She was immediately transferred to the cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) room, and her spontaneous circulation was returned after a few minutes of CPR. She was then intubated, volume resuscitated with intravenous normal saline, and connected to the mechanical ventilator after being transferred to the ICU ward. The patient remained comatose without spontaneous breathing, her pupils became bilateral mydriasis, and central diabetes insipidus became evident after three days due to apnea and hypoxic brain damage following insecticide ingestion. The chemical analysis of the insecticide bottle showed 10% permethrin without organophosphates, as initially expected. Unfortunately, after seven days, the patient passed away due to resistant hypotension and severe brain damage.Permethrin is widely used globally as an insecticide. However, there are many unmet needs in permethrin toxicity treatment, and the treatment is mainly supportive. Depending on the amount and dose of permethrin, the most common symptoms can vary from headache, dyspnea, and vomiting to metabolic acidosis and cardiac and respiratory arrest, which can lead to hypoxic brain damage and death, as was the outcome in our case.
Hesam Adin Atashi1, Hamid Zaferani Arani1, Seyyed Mojtaba Ghorani1, Mahya Sadat Teimouri Khorasani1 and Masoumeh Moalem2*